Instant Pot Bison Butternut Squash Stew
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Method: Instant Pot
It’s winter and all we want to do is curl up in front of the fire (read: Netflix) with a bowl of something warm and cozy. Well, say hello to the coziest stew we have ever tasted – Instant Pot Bison Butternut Squash Stew by our wonderfully talented friend, The Kitcheneer. It’s refined and smooth with oh-so-seasonal hints of apple and cinnamon to add just the right amount of sweetness and spice to this savory bowl. It’s also pretty healthy and, depending on how you serve it, can be made to fit Paleo and Whole30 diets. But perhaps the best parts of all – it’s made right in your instant pot or slow cooker for an effortless approach. And now back to that show we were binging…
Original Recipe & Photography by The Kitcheneer.
Recipe: Instant Pot Bison Butternut Squash Stew
2 packages of The Honest Bison Bison Stew Meat (or 2 lbs stew meat of choice)
• 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder
• 4 tbs of grassfed butter or ghee
• 1 sweet or white onion (diced)
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 1 1/2 cups of cubed butternut squash
• 1 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
• 2 stalks of celery, sliced thin
• 3 cups of bone broth
• 2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 2 tsp onion powder
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Prepare and cut all the vegetables
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Dredge the bison in the arrowroot powder until
evenly covered. Once it reads HOT, add the butter and the stew meat.
- Sear stew meat on all sides (about 5 minutes). Add all remaining ingredients. Seal the lid.
- Turn OFF Instant Pot and switch to STEW mode for 40 minutes. Once it beeps to
indicate it is done, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Once the lid has been safely removed, switch back to Saute mode to allow the stew to
thicken a little bit.
- Serve on its own in a bowl, over cauli rice or regular rice, or mashed potatoes.
About The Kitcheneer: Using her own personal journey to wellness as inspiration, Amanda “The Kitcheneer” helps guide people toward more mindful, healthy eating by way of simple clean recipes that don’t require much effort to make. View her original post for this Instant Pot Bison Butternut Squash Stew here.
Looking for more cozy winter recipes like this? Check out these favorites: