Elk New York Steaks with Chimichurri SauceJanuary 14, 2019
Easy Weeknight Elk Stir-FryMarch 13, 2019
Now that the colder months are here, it’s time to cozy up with a hearty classic – Shepherd’s Pie. This lovely twist on a traditional comfort food by The Kitcheneer uses our Ground Venison but you can use any ground meat you’d like. For added richness and extra nutrients try it with our Venison Heart & Liver Ground Blend.
Recipe & Photography by The Kitcheneer. Be sure to check out her blog here.
Recipe: Cozy Venison Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 lbs of Ground Venison
- 1 tbs of avocado oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots, and peas)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Splash of red wine
- 2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 385F.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add oil.
- Brown venison and break down into a fine crumble and stir in onion and garlic.
- Sauté venison and onion mixture until onion is translucent (about 6-8 minutes).
- Stir in frozen veggies, salt, pepper, and tomato paste. Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until venison is cooked through. (130-140F).
- Add smash of wine and remove from heat.
- Spread venison mixture to the bottom of a casserole dish, add mashed potatoes and spread into an even layer over top.
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is browned.
- Top with thyme and serve!