Purist Style Roasted Short Ribs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Whether you’re following a strict carnivore diet or are just looking for a really simple yet delicious meal, this recipe for Purist Style Roasted Short Ribs will hit the spot. There are only 5 ingredients, most of which you likely already have, aside from the actual short ribs, which you can get here.
This simple yet satisfying meal is so easy to make it will quickly become a favorite staple dish. Since fattier pieces of meat are more calorically dense, they tend to be more satiating and keep you full for hours. Short ribs are also a fairly inexpensive cut of meat, so it won’t break the bank if you want to make this recipe often. Since the meat is slow-cooked until it pulls right off the bone, this recipe reheats really nicely without getting overdone or tough, like some cuts when they are reheated. This is a perfect cut for advance meal prep.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F , then place the short ribs in a broiler-safe baking pan.
2. Cover the short ribs with the tallow, then rub the entire outside of the ribs with the salt.
3. Pour the water into the bottom of the dish, then cover the dish with aluminum foil to keep in the moisture while baking; this will ensure the ribs stay tender and moist.
4. Cook the short ribs for 3-4 hours, or until the meat pulls off the bone easily.
5. Change the oven temperature to high broil. Remove the foil, then broil the short ribs, uncovered, for 5 minutes, until the meat has a crisp crust.
6. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes, then serve. Add a pinch of salt, if needed.
This simple, calorically dense dish, Purist Style Roasted Short Ribs, is high in omega-3 fatty acids and anti-inflammatory properties, which is helpful for overall inflammation reduction, gut health and joint health. This higher-fat dish will also help you maintain consistent energy levels for longer periods of time.
About the Authors
Erin Blevins is the founder of shutupEAT, as well as a celebrity chef, fitness professional, nutritionist, competitive athlete, and private gym co-owner. Vivica Menegaz is the author of Keto Cooking for Healing and Weight Loss, co-author of 1,001 Paleo Recipes, and the founder of The Nourished Caveman. Together, they show the science of why this diet works and how to do it safely and effectively to live a healthier, better life. Their cookbook, The Essential Carnivore Diet Cookbook, has over 60 recipes that will not only help you lose weight, but improve your energy, heal your gut, and help inflammation. Built on the idea that our bodies are designed to primarily eat meat, the carnivore diet takes eating whole, unprocessed foods to another level by focusing on nutrient-rich beef, chicken, fish, organ meats, pork, and lamb, as well as low-lactose dairy and eggs. Erin and Vivica provide a variety of bold-flavored recipes so that there is always something new to try.