Elk Sirloin Steak & Potato Foil Packs
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
When it comes to summer cooking, we like things on the easier side. Tasty, but easy. And this recipe for Elk Sirloin Steak & Potato Foil Packs from Primal Pioneer is perfect after a day spent adventuring or lounging in the sun. All you really have to do is chop up your steak and potatoes, add some seasoning, wrap if all in some foil and throw it on the grill while you sit back and chill. After 10-15 minutes or so, dinner is ready to eat – and easy to clean up afterward.
Recipe & Photography by Primal Pioneer.
Recipe: Elk Sirloin Steak & Potato Foil Packs
- 1.5 lb. bag petite gold potatoes
- 2 – 10 oz. The Honest Bison Elk Sirloin Steaks
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. steak seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter – melted
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup finely diced white onion
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat the grill or smoker to 425 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil – parboil the potatoes by adding the whole petite potatoes to the boiling water and boil for 7-8 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, slice the elk sirloin steaks into large chunks, a minimum of 2-3 inches thick. Add the steak chunks to a bowl, then add the olive oil and steak seasoning and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes have cooled enough to handle, slice them into small chunks, about ½-1 inch pieces. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the melted butter, minced garlic, diced white onion, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Start to assemble your foil packs. Tear four 12-15 inch pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Lay them out across your counter or tabletop. Spoon the steak and potato chunks into the center of each piece of foil so that they are evenly distributed.
- Bring up the long sides of the foil – meeting at the top – then fold them over and roll them down to create a seal.
- Then, fold and roll up each end towards the center.
- Place the foil packs onto the grill or smoker – over indirect heat – and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, carefully open the foil packets and check to be sure the steak bites have reached the optimal internal temperature of 130-135 degrees F. Continue cooking if needed. If done, carefully remove the packets from the grill.
- To serve, open the packet carefully (watch the steam), toss the steak and potatoes and serve immediately.
Recipe Notes & Alternatives:
- Parboiling the potatoes will help them evenly cook with the steak inside the foil packs
- Be sure to have small potato chunks and large steak chunks to also help with even cooking
- Serve with your choice of fresh summer veggies
About Primal Pioneer: Primal Pioneer is about reconnecting with their primal roots and respecting our lands, resources, and natural inhabitants. They support humane conservation and preservation of wildlife. Their goal is to help elevate wild game meats with new and exciting recipes that are both easy to prepare and delicious. View their original recipe post for Elk Sirloin Steak & Potato Foil Packs here.
Looking for more easy summer recipes? Check out these favorites: