Smoked Shrimp & Elk Medallions
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: Temperature Based
Method: Grill / Smoke
Summer! It’s here. And it’s about time. This recipe for Smoked Shrimp and Elk Medallions by Primal Pioneer is the perfect way to usher in our long-awaited return to warm sunny days and leisurely evenings. Light and flavorful, the Elk Medallions are slow-smoked in a skillet right alongside buttery, lemon shrimp for a meal that’s low effort but high on taste. Put this one on repeat for the season.
Need something for Father’s Day? Order by Sunday, June 14th to make sure Dad gets his tasty gift in time.
Recipe & Photography by Primal Pioneer.
Recipe: Smoked Shrimp & Elk Medallions
- 2 – 6 oz. The Honest Bison Elk Medallions
- 1 lb. large cooked shrimp, thawed & deveined
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. steak seasoning
- Preheat the grill or smoker to 450 degrees F.
- Melt the butter, then stir in the minced garlic.
- Add the shrimp to a large bowl, then pour the melted butter and garlic over the shrimp and toss to coat. Transfer to a large cast-iron or high-temp skillet.
- Brush the elk medallions with olive oil, then season with the steak seasoning, and place them into the skillet with the shrimp.
- Cut the lemon into four wedges and squeeze the lemon juice over the shrimp.
- Place the skillet onto the grill or smoker, over indirect heat, and cook until the internal temperature reaches about 130-135 for medium-rare.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the grill or smoker. Let the elk medallions rest for a few minutes. While resting, using a spoon, toss the shrimp in the melted butter, then serve immediately.
Recipe Notes & Alternatives:
- Any size cooked shrimp will work.
- Elk medallions are best served at medium-rare temperature.
- Can substitute Elk Medallions for Bison Medallions, Venison Medallions, or another similarly-sized steak of your choice.
- Serve with a side of your favorite fresh vegetables, salad or sides
About Primal Pioneer: Primal Pioneer is about reconnecting with their primal roots and respecting our lands, resources, and natural inhabitants. They support humane conservation and preservation of wildlife. Their goal is to help elevate wild game meats with new and exciting recipes that are both easy to prepare and delicious. View their original recipe post for Smoked Shrimp & Elk Medallions here.
Looking for more summer-inspired eats? Check out these recipes: