Now that the holiday season is in full swing, there’s a lot of festive events to attend and eating to be done. It’s also the perfect time to try out new recipes with family and friends. One of our ambassadors, the lovely and talented Grace Brinton, made this drool-worthy recipe using our bison sirloin roast and we can’t stop thinking about it.
Balsamic & Maple Dijon Holiday Bison Roast Recipe
For anyone looking to create a new holiday tradition, or simply create a holiday meal that isn’t the usual ole’ turkey or ham, why not try this incredibly simple yet flavorful bison roast? If you’ve ever made roast beef, this is a similar cooking technique. If you’ve never made roast beef, don’t be intimidated because it is actually really easy!
The marinade and not overcooking the roast are the two most important factors to consider when cooking this meal. I suggest having a kitchen thermometer on hand so you know when it the roast is done. If you want a more rare center, pull the roast when the internal temp is at 120. For a medium roast, pull it at 140. I wouldn’t cook it past 140 though.
1 Bison Sirloin Tip Roast, about 2 lbs
½ tsp Salt
1 ½ tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Maple Syrup
1 ½ tsp Avocado Oil
½ tsp black pepper
- Rub roast all over with salt and set on a plate.
- For marinade, combine in a small bowl the dijon, balsamic, maple syrup and oil.
- Rub marinade all over roast and place in an oven-safe dish.
- Sprinkle black pepper over the top of the roast.
- Marinate roast for at least 30 minutes, ideally 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set rack in center of oven.
- When oven is hot, place roast on middle rack in center of oven.
- Roast for 25 minutes and then rotate the pan front to back so roast cooks evenly.
- If juices have collected in the pan, gently baste them onto the roast.
- Cook another 25 – 45 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 130.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Thinly slice with a sharp knife and serve.
*This recipe serves 6-8
For a complete holiday meal, serve bison roast alongside Grace’s Holiday Balsamic & Cranberry Veggie Roast.