Ground Venison Enchilada Casserole
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
We’re all over this easy, cheesy Ground Venison Enchilada Casserole created by our friends over at Primal Pioneer. It’s hearty, healthy-ish (depending on how much cheese you choose to use – no judgment here) and if you use the Ground Venison Blend as suggested, you’ll also sneak in a ton of extra nutrients like iron, niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin. No one – especially your tiny (but vocal) humans – will ever know they’ve eaten heart and liver. But they will notice that it tastes extra delicious. They’ll assume it’s your cooking. And, of course, we’d never tell them otherwise.
Here’s a brilliant idea: Cinco de Mayo is next week and this recipe along with a few strong margaritas (this is a favorite recipe of ours from Against All Grain – no affiliation) would make an exceptional quarantine celebration! As always, customize according to your own dietary requirements or the availability of ingredients in our area/pantry.
Recipe & Photography by Primal Pioneer.
Recipe: Ground Venison Enchilada Casserole
- 2 pounds The Honest Bison Ground Venison Blend
- 1 small yellow onion – diced
- 2 oz. taco seasoning
- 4 oz. diced green chiles
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 16 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 6-in. tortillas of your choice
- Chopped chives or green onion for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the ground venison blend and diced onion to a large skillet and cook thoroughly over medium heat.
- Add the taco seasoning, diced green chiles, and tomatoes to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Pour ¼ cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 dish and spread to cover the entire bottom.
- Place two flour tortillas on top of the sauce. Add ⅓ of the beef mixture and spread to cover the tortillas. Pour ½ cup enchilada sauce over the beef, then top with ⅓ of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat this process two more times – 2 tortillas, ⅓ beef, ½ cup enchilada sauce, ⅓ of the shredded cheese. You should end with shredded cheese on top.
- Pour ¼ cup enchilada sauce over the top shredded cheese layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with chopped chives or green onions and serve hot.
Options & Alternatives:
- Use any kind of tortilla or alternative that you prefer!
- Use mild cheddar cheese or non-dairy cheese substitute if desired.
- This recipe was created with the rich flavor of the Ground Venison Blend in mind but, in the times of quarantine, use whatever ground meat or meat substitute you’ve got access to.
About Primal Pioneer: Primal Pioneer is about reconnecting with their primal roots and respecting our lands, resources, and natural inhabitants. They support humane conservation and preservation of wildlife. Their goal is to help elevate wild game meats with new and exciting recipes that are also both easy to prepare and delicious. View their original recipe post for Ground Venison Enchilada Casserole here.
Looking for more comforting homecooked meals like this one? Here are a few of our favorites: