Instant Pot Bison Short Ribs Ragu
Prep time: 10
Cook time: 30
Method: Instant Pot
Hello, January! Nice to see you again. No really, we love a nice, fresh start to the new year – and in this case, a brand new decade. It may still be a little chilly out but that’s all the more reason to stay curled up inside with a delicious bowl of something warm and savory. Like this hearty Instant Pot Bison Short Ribs Ragu for instance. Super easy to make – because we’re all busy crushing those New Year’s intentions – and healthy – because again, back those New Year’s intentions!
This recipe from The Kitcheneer, is the perfect combination of rich flavors and textures. It smells amazing while it’s cooking, is even better as leftovers (if there is any) and doesn’t require hours to prep, cook or clean up after. Consider this our New Year’s gift to you! Doing the January Whole30 Challenge? Skip the cheese and swap out the noodles for veggie noodle of your choice and off you go!
Recipe & Photography by The Kitcheneer.
Recipe: Instant Pot Bison Short Ribs Ragu
- 1 package of Bison Short Ribs from The Honest Bison
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 28 oz can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Parmesan cheese, grated (for serving)
- 1 lb of pappardelle (or your favorite pasta/pasta substitute) cooked per package instructions
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and add oil.
- Once heated, add short ribs to brown on all sides. (About 1-2 minutes per side)
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and basil.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine- get all those yummy brown bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the vinegar, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Switch and Seal lid to Meat/Stew mode on high pressure for 30 minutes. Allow Natural Release.
- While the short ribs and sauce cook, make the pasta and shred the cheese.
- Once sauce is finished, remove short ribs and shred the meat off bones. Place shredded short rib meat back into the sauce.
- Serve ragu over pasta with shredded parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Note: While the recipe calls for traditional pasta, this recipe is equally delicious and hearty when served over a bed of al dente zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash! Make this switch and skip the cheese for a Whole30 compliant meal!
Looking for more healthy, hearty meals like this one? Here are a few of our favorites: