Elk BBQ Brisket Sliders
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 9 Hours
Method: Slow Cooker
Well, it’s safe to say this year isn’t turning out quite like any of us had imagined. And with everything that’s going on with the current COVID-19 health crisis, well, we decided it was time for some serious comfort food. Really good comfort food. The kind that brings joy but is also made with quality ingredients and – this might be the most important part – is easy to make. Because let’s face it, with all the zooming, homeschooling, aimless walking, and Tiger King binging, there just isn’t a whole lot of energy left for whipping up elaborate meals. (Although Instagram would have you think otherwise.)
We gotcha. Check out this incredible set-it-and-forget-it recipe for Elk BBQ Brisket Sliders with a tangy BBQ sauce and a spicy slaw from our friends, Primal Pioneer. This is just one in a delicious series of recipes they’re creating with us and frankly, they couldn’t come at a better time. (We’ve already cooked all our favorites at least 7 times too many.) Like us, they believe in respecting our land, natural resources, and animals and are doing their best to both educate people on public land hunts and elevate game meat with fresh, exciting recipes. So let’s get to it!
Recipe & Photography by Primal Pioneer.
Recipe: Elk BBQ Brisket Sliders
Ingredients: BBQ Brisket
- 2-pound Honest Bison Elk Brisket
- ¼ cup BBQ rub
- ¼ cup yellow onion – diced
- ¼ cup mustard
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup BBQ sauce – divided
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Slider buns
Ingredients: Spicy Slaw
- 4 cup cabbage slaw
- 2 jalapeños – diced
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ⅛ – ¼ cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- In a bowl, combine the mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, ½ cup BBQ sauce, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Completely coat both sides of the elk brisket with the BBQ rub.
- Place into a slow cooker and pour the sauce mixture over the brisket. Add the diced onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until tender and can be easily shredded.
- While the elk brisket is cooking, combine the slaw ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the elk brisket is tender and can shred easily, remove from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Drain ¾ of the juice from the slow cooker, leaving about ¼ cup juice remaining. Add the shredded brisket back into the slow cooker and add ½ cup BBQ sauce. Stir to coat.
- Serve on slider buns and top with the spicy slaw.
Note: We’ve purposefully tried to make this recipe easy, using ingredients you hopefully already have. Times are weird right now, so if you can, skip the trip to the store and improvise where you need to!
About Primal Pioneer: Primal Pioneer is about reconnecting with their primal roots with respect our lands, resources, and natural inhabitants. They support humane conservation and preservation of wildlife. Their goal is to help elevate wild game meats with new and exciting recipes that are also both easy to prepare and delicious. View the original recipe for Elk BBQ Brisket Sliders here.
Looking for more quarantine-friendly meals like this one? Here are a few of our favorites: