Maple Bourbon Bacon Venison Burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
We’ve never met a burger that we didn’t like. For such a simple food, there really is no end to the number of ways they can be prepared. But this indulgent combination from The Kitcheneer has got to be one of our all-time favorites. Smoky Bourbon meets salty bacon meets sweet maple syrup for a flavor explosion that’s as comforting and it is thrilling. Our recommendation? Pair it with a glass of your favorite bourbon and cozy up by the fireplace with your favorite person for the evening.
Recipe & Photography by The Kitcheneer.
Recipe: Maple Bourbon Bacon Venison Burgers
For the burgers:
- 3 Honest Bison Venison Burger patties
- Cooked bacon
- White cheddar slices (optional)
- Brioche buns (or lettuce wraps – make these your own!)
For the sauce:
- 2 tbs grassfed butter
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup of bourbon
- 1/4 cup of apple cider
For the caramelized onions:
- 2 tbs grassfed butter
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- Preheat the grill to 350F. Place pre-made patties on the grill to cook. (About 8-10 minutes. For venison, I like to take it off the grill around 140F for a medium cook (pink in the middle).
- While, the burgers cook, make the BBQ sauce by adding all sauce ingredients MINU THE BOURBON in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until it is simmering (about 5 minutes).
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the bourbon. Simmer the sauce a little bit more to cook off the alcohol. (about 3 more minutes).
- Take burgers off the grill and add cheese (if using). Allow to rest while you caramelize the onions.
- Caramelize the onions on medium-high heat in a pan with the butter and apple cider. The key here is to use a large skillet to allow room for the onions caramelize properly and to stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Assemble the burgers and serve! I highly recommend making some crispy sweet potato fries as a side!
About The Kitcheneer: Using her own personal journey to wellness as inspiration, Amanda “The Kitcheneer” helps guide people toward more mindful, healthy eating by way of simple clean recipes that don’t require much effort to make. View her original post for Maple Bourbon Bacon Venison Burgers here.
Looking for more great burger recipes? Check out these favorites: