Herb Crusted Whole Bison Tenderloin with Mushrooms and Port Wine SauceDecember 16, 2022
Bison Flank Steak Burrata SaladJanuary 3, 2023
Pistachio Pesto Crusted Rack of Lamb
There are many reasons why a Rack of Lamb is such a coveted dish for special occasions. It’s a flavorful, tender cut of meat known for its rich, savory taste. It also has a delicate texture which lends well to roasting or grilling and results in a particularly unique melt-in-your-mouth flavor. It’s a very versatile cut and can be seasoned and prepared in many different ways, depending on the event. And, of course, the elegant presentation of a full Rack of Lamb with its perfectly sized chops and beautiful crust is sure to impress your guests. This Pistachio Pesto Crusted Rack of Lamb recipe perfectly complements the naturally rich flavor of the lamb with a delicate, savory crust. It’s the perfect main dish for your holiday celebration. Before you jump to this incredible Pistachio Pesto Crusted Rack of Lamb recipe, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Select a high-quality Rack of Lamb with equally sized chops — this will help ensure even cooking and provide the maximum visual impact.
- Look for a Rack of Lamb with a nice layer of fat around the top — this will help keep the meat moist as it cooks and add flavor to the finished dish.
- Use a meat thermometer while cooking to avoid overcooking the Rack of Lamb — we recommend a smart wireless thermometer like Meater for the best experience.
- Avoid over seasoning your Rack of Lamb — too much seasoning will mask the flavor of the lamb, you will want to season just enough to bring out the natural richness of the meat.
Recipe and photography created for The Honest Bison by Essence Eats.
Rack of Lamb
Pistachio Pesto Crust
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1 tsp finely chopped basil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup unsalted pistachio nuts (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp pesto
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease an oven-proof skillet with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine all the meatball ingredients except for the olive oil and chives. Use your hands to mix until combined.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture into a ball and place into the skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops of the meatballs are lightly browned.
- While the meatballs bake, mix together the Bourbon BBQ Sauce ingredients.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and pour the sauce over the top. Gently mix to combine. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken and caramelize.
- If desired, transfer to a slow cooker to keep warm and garnish with chopped chives.
Store leftover lamb in the fridge for up to 3 days in a sealed airtight container. To reheat, place the sliced lamb covered in aluminum foil. Bake for 15 minutes at 325F until warmed throughout.
A truly stunning cut that delivers a mild yet memorable taste and an impressive presentation, our Rack of Lamb is 100% grassfed and pasture-raised. The rack is already “frenched” meaning the meat has been removed from the upper portion of the bones for a more dramatic visual presentation.
A Full Rack of lamb is between 2-2.3 lbs and may include 5-6 chops once cut. (May vary based on weight.) Looking for a smaller portion? Check out our Half Rack of Lamb.
Grazing Partner: Umpqua Valley Lamb, Western Oregon