Pumpkin Beer-Braised Bison Bratwurst and Sauerkraut
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Feeling a little nostalgic for the days of freer travel and long afternoons spent at beer gardens with friends, new and old? Then you’ll really love this Oktoberfest-inspired recipe for Pumpkin Beer-Braised Bison Bratwurst and Sauerkraut by our wonderfully talented friend, The Kitcheneer. While it isn’t exactly Oktoberfest right now, it’s always time for a meal that’s as cozy and flavorful as this one.
Original Recipe & Photography by The Kitcheneer.
Recipe: Pumpkin Beer-Braised Bison Bratwurst and Sauerkraut
- 2 packages of Bison Bratwurst from The Honest Bison
- 2 tbs grassfed butter or ghee
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 apple, sliced thin (I used a Granny Smith- but Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or any other baking apple will work!)
- 2 bottles of pumpkin beer (use glutenfree if GF)
- 1 tbs chopped sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs arrowroot powder
- Fresh sauerkraut
- Heat butter in a heavy high rimmed skillet (I used cast iron). Add onion and saute for 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the apples and garlic. Saute for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add bratwurst and beer. Bring to a boil then lower to a slight simmer. Partially cover to cook the bratwurst for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat a griddle to sear the bratwurst.
- Turn cast iron heat down to medium-low and stir in the arrowroot powder and allow to reduce and thicken (5 minutes)
- While the sauce thickens, sear the bratwurst in the heated griddle pan until there are grill marks.
- Serve brats alongside with sauce, sauerkraut, and your favorite side. I chose air fryer potatoes.
About The Kitcheneer: Using her own personal journey to wellness as inspiration, Amanda “The Kitcheneer” helps guide people toward more mindful, healthy eating by way of simple clean recipes that don’t require much effort to make. View her original post for this No Stir Bison Bacon Apple Risotto here.
Looking for more cozy recipes like this? Check out these favorites: